Emergencies and Customer Care: 1-800-994-2762

Natural Gas Safety Tips

Natural gas is a clean, safe, efficient, and reliable energy source for your home or business. With natural gas water heaters, home heating, barbeques, kitchen ranges and more, natural gas can enhance your life in so many ways! The following tips can help you safely enjoy all the benefits of natural gas, at home or at work.

If you are viewing this from New Hampshire, New York, Massachusetts, or Georgia, please continue and learn about these safety tips then head over to our American domain libertyutilities.com for more relevant information.

Routinely maintain your natural gas appliances
Getting your natural gas appliances regularly serviced by a licensed natural gas contractor will keep the appliance well maintained, running safe and efficient. Call us at 1-800-994-2762 or email us at CustomerCareNB@libertyutilities.com for a list of natural gas contractors to help you maintain your appliances.

If you smell rotten eggs, go outside and call us.
If you hear the hissing sound of leaking gas and/or smell rotten eggs, there may be a natural gas leak with your line or appliances. Immediately go outside, call us at 1-800-994-2762 and press option # 1. Do not try to use any of your appliances, don’t turn any on electronics, and don’t do anything requiring even a small open flame, including smoking or use of a candle.

Know where your natural gas shut-off valve is
To mitigate a potential emergency, you can shut off your natural gas immediately. You should know exactly where the shutoff is, and how to use it is needed. Make sure there is a screwdriver or wrench close to your valve in order to assist with shutting it off in an emergency.

Keep your natural gas appliances clean and free from obstructions
Natural gas barbeques and fireplaces are great additions to a home, but it is important to keep them clean. Keep children, pets and combustibles away from hot surfaces.

Install a carbon-monoxide detector in your home or business
Carbon monoxide is an invisible and odorless gas that can be dangerous if given the chance to build up indoors. Be sure to have working carbon monoxide detector in your home or business. Change your detector’s batteries every 6 months, and replace the entire detector every 5 to 7 years.