Stay Safe by Keeping Meters, Pipes & Exhaust Vents Clear
As a customer, it is your responsibility to ensure your natural gas meter and equipment are clear of ice and snow during the winter months. Ice or snow buildup can impair the operation of the gas meter. In the event of an emergency, Enbridge Gas New Brunswick or the Fire Department may require immediate access to the meter and shut-off valve. A heavy snowstorm, drifting snow or equipment clearing snow from a walkway, driveway or parking lot could bury your meter and create a hazard.
Winter Safety Tips:
- Check for and keep snow and ice from building up on your natural gas meter, gas piping and appliance exhaust vents.
- It is important that you carefully clear your natural gas meter and the air intakes and exhaust pipes of snow using a broom or brush to ensure the safe and efficient operation of your natural gas equipment.
- Use extra caution when clearing the snow on your natural gas meter, piping and appliance exhaust vents to avoid damage to the natural gas equipment.
- Do not use a shovel, sharp objects or anything hard to clear snow or ice.
- Never pour hot water on the natural gas equipment to melt ice.
- Use extra caution when using your shovel, plow or snow blower to avoid piling snow against your natural gas meter, piping and appliance exhaust vents.
- Check the area around your natural gas meter regularly. If possible, maintain a path to your meter.
- Notify your snow removal contractor about the location of the gas meter and request that it not be covered.
- Make sure that roof run-off, freezing rain or water from an eaves trough does not cause a buildup of ice on your meter.
If Your Meter is Covered in Ice:
- Call Enbridge Gas New Brunswick’s customer service line (1-800-994-2762) immediately. Do not attempt to remove the ice yourself.
- We will send a Natural Gas Technician to the site to determine the level of hazard.
- If there is an extensive amount of ice, we will shut the natural gas meter off so a third party contractor can remove the ice.
- Once the ice is removed, we will conduct a safety inspection, turn the meter back on, and ensure the safe and efficient operation of the natural gas equipment.